Diabetes Care & Education
24 million Americans—nearly one in 12—have diabetes. It is the seventh-leading cause of death in the United States. Here in New Hampshire, about 84,500 adults are living with Type I or Type II diabetes.
AVH is committed to helping people with diabetes live longer, healthier lives through diabetes care, education and lifestyle management programs. Our goal is to provide medical services and empower patients with knowledge to better manage diabetes. Diabetes control reduces the risk of diabetes complications such as heart disease, stroke, blindness and amputation. Diabetes is controllable – you can do it, and we can help.
Medical Services for People with Diabetes
- Bariatric services
- Education and self-care skills as needed*
- Diabetes disease process, medications, using glucose meter and reading results
- Nutitional management and counseling
- Physical activity - exercise evaluations and personalized plans
- Medication - pills, insulin and other diabetes injectable medicines
- Preventing, detecting and treating acute complications
- Preventing, detecting and treating chronic complications through risk reduction
- Goal setting and problem soving; psychological adjustment
- Pregnancy management, pre-conception care and gestational diabetes management
*The AVH Diabetes Education Program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as meeting the National Standards for excellence in diabetes education. Please check your insurance for coverage. For more information, please call (603) 326-5692.
Diabetes Community Programs
Diabetes Education Program
Patients will receive information on diabetes facts, medications, insulin, creative meal planning, dining out, exercise, cautions and complications and blood glucose monitoring. Please check your insurance for coverage. For more information, call (603) 326-5692.
Comments from past attendees include:
“I enjoyed it and learned a lot about my needs. Thank you.”
“It has been a very good eye-opener.”
“I think that everyone should come to this.”
“I wish I’d had this education about diabetes years ago."
NOTE: Patients may need a referral from their practitioner to participate in the program.
Free Diabetes Support Group Meetings
Free Diabetes Support Group Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of every other month in the AVH Mt. Adams Conference Room at 6:00 PM. Open to the public. For more information, please call (603) 326-5692.